Coin and Paper Money Collecting/San Diego medallion

Question
front
front  

both medallions
both medallions  
I have a medallion depicting the San Diego 200th Anniversary that appears to be silver.  I've never seen one this large in silver, only in bronze.  I am sending a couple of pictures of it, front side and back and also a picture of it alongside the bronze one.  It is 3 inches in diameter and weighs 253.4 grams by my scale.  The bronze one is also 3 inches in diameter and weighs 213.4 grams by my scale.  Is the silver colored one actually silver or something else.  I cannot find it mentioned anywhere on the internet...
Thank you,
John

Answer
John,

This medal was issued in 1969 - struck by the United States Mint in Philadelphia.  Only 1000 were issued and it is .900 fine silver.

Here is an excerpt from the original order form:

"In fact, only 1000 were struck at the United States Mint in Philadelphia to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the founding of San Diego, California's oldest city.  These 3 inch medals are .900 fine and are handsomely encased in lucite and black leather plastic.  The obverse side of the medallion features a relief of Father Junipero Serra and Governor Gaspar de Portola.  An early pioneer and his covered wagon are shown on the reverse side, which also highlights the California Tower, explorer Juan Cabrillo's ship and the Mission San Diego de Alcala.  THIS EDITION LIMITED TO 1000 SILVER MEDALS."

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore