Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1 dollar bill ser# E3167

QUESTION: Hello,I have a 1988 one dollar bill. The back side is cut wrong. It's cut high, has lots of room on the bottom and right side, also the top of the next bill on bottom is showing. Could you please tell me if this bill is worth anything? I seen chat about the #96 97 98 and 99 bills. This bill is E31674945H.  Thank you for any help.

ANSWER: David:

Your note appears to meet the criteria of an error. Condition and the amount of the error showing is critical in establishing the value. For it to be considered a collectible cutting error, part of an adjacent note has to show, For it to be a legitimate cutting error, only one side is cut wrong, because each side is printed separately. Value could range from about $20 to several hundred.

Bills are printed in sheets of 32 notes and in three phases. Reverse print, obverse print, and serial numbers with seal print. At least one sheet was misaligned when the face side was printed. The sheets, with the error(s), likely went unnoticed during the cutting and final inspection phase. There may have been several others with a similar error like yours to "escape" into circulation.

Here's the link for you to view different types of error currency and their values.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

1$ wrong 1
1$ wrong 1  

1$ wrong 2
1$ wrong 2  
QUESTION: Sorry, sending a pic of it now. Thanks for all your help

The note looks UNC from the photos. My best guess is that it may bring about $100 to $150 from an interested collector.

I found a similar $50 miscut note on eBay for $425. See:

You may want to check the U.S. error bill category under coins and currency on eBay from time to time to see if your piece is listed what it may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to their value at no charge. Should you decide to sell your bill to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.