Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1888 s/s morgan

I sent a 1888 s morgan in for certification it came back graded MS63 S/S.  So I guess my question is I can not find a VAM for 1888 s/s or a price guide for what this coin is worth.  Is this a vam or is this just a mint mark S/S

Hi Danny,

My VAM book shows 4 possible VAMs with a S/S -- numbers 2, 6, 8, and 9 :

2 : mint mark repunched with original showing as a thin curved line on left side of upper loop opening.

6 : mint mark repunched with original showing as a slanted bar in lower portion of upper loop opening, and a short curved line on right side of lower loop opening.

8 : mint mark repunched with original showing as a horizontal curved line within middle of upper loop opening, and lower loop is doubled at top inside.  Top serif is doubled on the right side.

9 : same as 2, but 18-8 in date is also doubled.

You should be able to determine which VAM you have from the above.

As for value, collector interest in this variety is low and rarity is not exceptional, so if you are able to find an interested collector, at this grade level I would estimate value at about $50-$100 over the value for a normal coin.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College