Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1929 penny

I have a 1929 wheat back penny. It looks like dull silver. It is magnetic and weights what a 1929 penny should way. Any ideas?

Hi Dan,
if the weight is correct, I have to assume it has a thin plating on it.  But you say it is attracted to a magnet?  That would mean steel.  I guess it is possible it was struck on a steel planchet destined for another coin.

I can't work from the picture, this coin needs physical inspection.  Check it with a magnet again to see if it sticks.  If not, it was plated with probably mercury, silver or zinc.

Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow