Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1929 penny

Question
Penny
Penny  
I have a 1929 wheat back penny. It looks like dull silver. It is magnetic and weights what a 1929 penny should way. Any ideas?

Answer
Hi Dan,
if the weight is correct, I have to assume it has a thin plating on it.  But you say it is attracted to a magnet?  That would mean steel.  I guess it is possible it was struck on a steel planchet destined for another coin.

I can't work from the picture, this coin needs physical inspection.  Check it with a magnet again to see if it sticks.  If not, it was plated with probably mercury, silver or zinc.

Regards
Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas