Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1938 canadian nickel with extra pointy 3

I estimate this coin at XF 45. Where can I find a value? What is the value?

Hi Bob,
I don't believe there is any formal catalog that lists values for these varieties. However, based on what I've seen normally circulated examples sell for a few dollars at auction, but retail prices vary widely because the value is really subjective and the scarcity of this variety is not established. Certified mint state coins usually have very high asking prices. I've seen people asking over $1,000 for MS-63 to 65 graded coins, but never have seen one sell.
What I like to do for mysterious pieces like this is to go to a forum with a section for that type of coin and ask those specializing in them what they would pay for it (hypothetically). You may get a wide range, but it will at least help in determining a price that the coin will indeed sell for.
Thanks for the question! =)  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).