Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1957 "D" Lincoln Wheat Sheaf Penny

I have a 1957 "D" wheat sheaf penny that has an upside down reverse. Let me explain - if I turn the coin over (left to right) the reverse image is upside down. I have to flip the coin (top to bottom) to see the reverse image the right way up. Does this make sense? Is this a common coin?

Hi Susan,

Unlike Canada coins, that (top-to-bottom flip) alignment you describe is normal for U.S. coins.  It's referred to (here in the U.S.) as a "coin flip" alignment, as opposed to a "medal flip" (side-to-side) alignment that most world coins use.

1957-D is a common date for wheat cents -- its value is about 3 cents in circulated condition.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College