Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1957 "D" Lincoln Wheat Sheaf Penny

Question
I have a 1957 "D" wheat sheaf penny that has an upside down reverse. Let me explain - if I turn the coin over (left to right) the reverse image is upside down. I have to flip the coin (top to bottom) to see the reverse image the right way up. Does this make sense? Is this a common coin?

Answer
Hi Susan,

Unlike Canada coins, that (top-to-bottom flip) alignment you describe is normal for U.S. coins.  It's referred to (here in the U.S.) as a "coin flip" alignment, as opposed to a "medal flip" (side-to-side) alignment that most world coins use.

1957-D is a common date for wheat cents -- its value is about 3 cents in circulated condition.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore