Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1970 penny

my son is starting a collection and has a 70 penny that on the memorial side ,part of states(es) of and the a r gone .it is like they faded out he is excited about it but i wanted to know if it is a mint error or what? thank you  christina

Without actually seeing it I can only guess, but usually this is the result of having been struck through a foreign object -- like machine grease -- when the coin was minted.  The grease would get into the design on the stamping die and prevent the complete striking of the coin.  Eventually the grease would slowly come back out of the die and the struck coins would be normal again.  This would indeed be classified as a mint error -- more specifically a striking error.

This actually happens more often than you might think.  It's one of the more common striking errors.  Still neat, but value is only a dollar or two.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College