Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1970 penny

Question
my son is starting a collection and has a 70 penny that on the memorial side ,part of states(es) of and the a r gone .it is like they faded out he is excited about it but i wanted to know if it is a mint error or what? thank you  christina

Answer
Christina,

Without actually seeing it I can only guess, but usually this is the result of having been struck through a foreign object -- like machine grease -- when the coin was minted.  The grease would get into the design on the stamping die and prevent the complete striking of the coin.  Eventually the grease would slowly come back out of the die and the struck coins would be normal again.  This would indeed be classified as a mint error -- more specifically a striking error.

This actually happens more often than you might think.  It's one of the more common striking errors.  Still neat, but value is only a dollar or two.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore