Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2012 struck through Cent

struck through
struck through  

I found this 2012 Shield Cents with what looks like a struck through "something".
I made several pictures using different lighting and from different angles.Sometimes the area looks raised and other times it looks incused.
Im hoping you could help me with this one .And also ,what object could had it been struck through?

Hi Monika,

Thank you for the pictures.

Looks to me that your coin was struck through a piece of wire -- I've seen this before.  If it still had the wire attached, it would be worth a lot more, but as it is I would estimate its value at about $50

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College