Coin and Paper Money Collecting/42d penny

Question
42d
42d  

42d
42d  
Ron,  
Hello, I came across this 1942d penny, would this be an error? Never seen this before?
Thanks, April

Answer
April:

No. One of the keys to identifying whether you have an error coin is to understand the minting process. The circular impression on your coin is the result of post minting damage, and was caused (most likely) by another coin's edge/rim being pressed into your coin. Notice the damage and distortion of the "R" in "LIBERTY". If this were done into the blank planchet prior to striking, the cut/distorted "R" would look different. As a damaged coin, it has no added numismatic value.

Here's an easy to understand program on how coins are made: http://www.usmint.gov/kids/coinNews/mintingProcess/

Hope this helps.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern