Coin and Paper Money Collecting/55 penny

Question
55
55  

55
55  
Ron,
Hello, I found this coin which is a 1955 penny, circulated condition, on back it has extra on the left leaf and very fine line on the bottom of right leaf. The front appears to be normal. I am a great fan of yours, you have answered a lot of questions for me. I am greatly thankful for your opinions. I do ask another favor, I have went to my local shop and they (Treasure Hunt)or no one else in the area grade coins, check for errors or send them. Is there a website that you know of for this.
Thank You Again, April

Answer
April:

You have a coin with a reverse die break. Quite normal for the date. Lots of coins in the 50's had minor errors like this. Not worth much over face value. It is the result of an over used die, where the deterioration began, and the die breaks would grow in length and depth over time. These are interesting to collect, because they cause you to understand part of the preparation of coin manufacture.

Minor errors are too numerous to catalog them all, although some have tried. Very few command a large premium over face value. There are several sites where you can go for added information on errors. CONECA allows both members and non-members to get coin identifications and classifications for a fee. See: http://conecaonline.org/ Yahoo offers an error collector forum, see: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/errorcoininformationexchange/

Hope this helps. Best of luck in your collecting.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern