Coin and Paper Money Collecting/base cud

Question
93
93  

93
93  
Ron,
Hello, I have this 1993d penny with the base cud missing. It appears to have no scratches in this area. The back of the coin appears to be normal.
Thanks again, April

Answer
1984 Cent Error
1984 Cent Error  
April:

I can't tell from the attached photos, but a base of bust cud would have a raised area from the broken die. The reverse would likely be missing detail in the same area from the other side where the break occurred. It is a result of the planchet material flowing upward into the die break area during the striking of the coin. Base of bust cuds retail for about $5 to $10.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern