Coin and Paper Money Collecting/coin value

Hello Ronald
I have inherited a collection of US Twenty Dollar gold coins. The dates of these range however they are all in perfect condition when compared to any I have seen online. They have very few (if any marks at all) with all detail and lettering absolutely beautiful. I have been told that they are all solid 24 ct gold.
I want to insure them and was wondering where I should begin as a value.
Can you help?
Thank you for your time.

Either you have your facts wrong, or the coins may be replicas. The United States $20 Liberty gold coin was Minted 1850 - 1907, and had a Fineness of .900, with an Actual Gold Content of .9675 troy ounce. The fact that you say they are in perfect condition indicates they may be replicas. Some replicas had a higher gold content and were struck with proof-like surfaces.

In any case, your coins should be looked at by an expert. Date, mint mark and grade are important in establishing the value of each coin, and the overall price of the collection.

For grading, see:$20liberty_nomotto_grading.html and$20liberty_withmotto_grading.html and

For values, see: and and

You may want to check Ebay listings in the coin categories to see of coins like yours are listed, and what they may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.