Coin and Paper Money Collecting/copper nickle?

Hello, recently my wife found a nickle that appears to be copper, it is a 1964 nickle. Is this really a copper nickle and if so is it worth anything?   Thank You and look forward to hearing from you

Hi Andrew,

Nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel and should weigh 5 grams.

It is possible that your coin was struck on the wrong planchet, or simply a copper plated regular nickel.

There really is no way for me to know without physically inspecting the coin.

Sorry I could not be of more help.  But you may want to weigh it.  If the weight is off from 5 grams, that might be an indication that you have some sort of error.

Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow