Coin and Paper Money Collecting/copper nickle?

Question
Hello, recently my wife found a nickle that appears to be copper, it is a 1964 nickle. Is this really a copper nickle and if so is it worth anything?   Thank You and look forward to hearing from you

Answer
Hi Andrew,

Nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel and should weigh 5 grams.

It is possible that your coin was struck on the wrong planchet, or simply a copper plated regular nickel.

There really is no way for me to know without physically inspecting the coin.

Sorry I could not be of more help.  But you may want to weigh it.  If the weight is off from 5 grams, that might be an indication that you have some sort of error.

Regards
Joe Hylas
www.AllCoins.US

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas