Coin and Paper Money Collecting/?error coins

Question
error coins
error coins  

error coins
error coins  
I am just starting to collect. I purchased a box of cents from the bank and found 3 possible error coins. I would like your opinion regarding these - what type of error if any, and any increased value for them? Thank you for your time and expertise. Dave Jonasson

Answer
Dave:

It's best to try and describe the errors you think you have and reference the photo. I'm not sure if I'm looking at one or two coins of yours, but the attached photos seem to indicate you likely have a filled die strike. A filled die occurs when grease, dirt and metal particles compact into a die. The dies that strike coins are recessed so that when they strike a planchet (a metal blank), the metal of the planchet rises to fill in the die. That's why letters, numbers, words and designs are raised on coins. If the recesses of the die fill up with sludge, (which is a very common occurrence in a factory like the Mint), this sludge will prevent letters or numbers from forming during the strike.

A filled die is a very common form of minor error and does not add significant numismatic value to the coin. Filled die errors are known on every series and denomination of coin ever struck by the U.S. Mint, from the very first large cent to the Presidential Dollars being struck today. Judging from your photos, your coin would likely bring between $2 to $5 from an interested error collector.

You may want to check Ebay listings in the error coin category to see of coins like yours are listed, and what they may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern