Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Gold over silver bar

Question
QUESTION: I purchased a Frank Lloyd Wright "Fallingwater - Wonders of America", marked: one troy oz, .999 F.S., The Hamilton Mint, 25P, on e-Bay.
It arrived with: HM 24kt EGP 1276,(with worn gold color) stamped on one edge.
Is this a true .999 silver piece and can the gold EP be removed at a reasonable price, or have I been had?

ANSWER: Hi Doris,

Thanks for your question.

These bars are always difficult to value. These bars vary is value and recent sales show this bar going for as little as $28 and as much as $80.

Since the makers of these bars can make as many as they like, you can be sure that if the price goes up they will make more.

The gold is just a thin plating so you can expect it to wear off if you handle the bar. I think your bar is real and it is one ounce of silver.

QUESTION: Can you David, or anyone else, tell me how difficult it is to remove the gold EP on this bar and the approximate cost?

Answer
Hello Doris,

While I am not a chemist nor do I work in the field of plating I would guess that removing the gold plating would be easy for someone in this business with the right equipment. Unless this specific bar has sentimental value to you I would suggest that you just buy another one - here is a link to one for sale now on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANK-LLOYD-WRIGHT-SERIAL-5533-ONE-TROY-OUNCE-999-FINE-S

These are not rare by any means and most times you can buy them for their silver value, which is about $30.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy