Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Gold over silver bar

QUESTION: I purchased a Frank Lloyd Wright "Fallingwater - Wonders of America", marked: one troy oz, .999 F.S., The Hamilton Mint, 25P, on e-Bay.
It arrived with: HM 24kt EGP 1276,(with worn gold color) stamped on one edge.
Is this a true .999 silver piece and can the gold EP be removed at a reasonable price, or have I been had?

ANSWER: Hi Doris,

Thanks for your question.

These bars are always difficult to value. These bars vary is value and recent sales show this bar going for as little as $28 and as much as $80.

Since the makers of these bars can make as many as they like, you can be sure that if the price goes up they will make more.

The gold is just a thin plating so you can expect it to wear off if you handle the bar. I think your bar is real and it is one ounce of silver.

QUESTION: Can you David, or anyone else, tell me how difficult it is to remove the gold EP on this bar and the approximate cost?

Hello Doris,

While I am not a chemist nor do I work in the field of plating I would guess that removing the gold plating would be easy for someone in this business with the right equipment. Unless this specific bar has sentimental value to you I would suggest that you just buy another one - here is a link to one for sale now on eBay

These are not rare by any means and most times you can buy them for their silver value, which is about $30.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics