Coin and Paper Money Collecting/stamped coin

QUESTION: I have a coin that is stamped with 3 number 4s on he bottom left of it. I am a fairly new collector and would like to know what it means. Sorry I don't have a picture.

ANSWER: Tanner:

From your limited description, most likely done after it left the mint, and would be considered an altered coin. Altered coins have to added numismatic value. This is probably a counter-stamped coin, with the "4's" punched in by hand. Why is anyone's guess. See: and

You may want to check Ebay listings in the coin category to see of coins like yours are listed, and what they may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

QUESTION: My coin is just a penny with a regular 1967 date but some details are missing on the back. Would that be just a product of the counter stamping?

I'm not clear as to the question. If your 1967 cent is the coin with the three "4's" punched into the the bottom left, then likely yes. The area on the reverse of the coin would probably appear flattened or distorted.

If it is a different coin than what was first described in the original question, it could be a filled or "greased" die error, where some lubricant, dirt, grime, etc., covered a portion of the die surface when the blank was struck. This would be a repetitive error, with likely many struck, until the press operator noticed it. The value would likely be in the $2 to $5 range.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate both this answer and the original answer. I get no pay for the time to research and reply to the questions. It is the only way I know I'm answering them properly. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.