Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Date Strike on U.S. large cent

1844 1844 Large Cent w/strike. jpg
1844 1844 Large Cent w  
QUESTION: I would like your opinion whether the date strike on the face of the Liberty Head on the 1844 U.S. large cent is a mint error,and if so, does it have any value?

ANSWER: Gordon:

Downloaded photo and enlarged it. Not sure if you mean area in center of head that's a circular raised ring (not an error, and no added value), or the area above the eye (possible lamination, about an added $5 to $10 to an interested collector).

You may want to check Ebay listings in the error coin category to see of coins like yours are listed, and what they may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

1844 large cent strike over
1844 large cent strike  
QUESTION: Thanks for your time and effort. Hopefully not to over do it, but, I'm sending another picture of the 1844 large cent that I should have sent in the first place. It shows more clearly what I am inquiring about---the stamped date "1859"?) on the face of the liberty girl. It looks like a relief mint strike? Or just some citizen playing around? Thanks, again.

I see! Much better photo. you guessed it, not a mint error, just some citizen playing around. This would be considered a counter-stamped type coin, done after it left the mint. Some are quire collectible, especially if the counter-stamp can be attributed. See: and

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.