Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Unknown coin/token

Hello, I bought a metal detector and ended up digging this out of my back yard near a tree root.  I can't find any information on it all I can say is I live near the Erie Canal in a town called Canastota, Ny.  Thought maybe it would be related.  It almost feels like a brass coin/token but not sure as I am new to this.  Any help is appreciated.
Thank You

Hi Roger,
It looks like it was used as a merchant/trade token. These were sold as generic blanks, and then a merchant could have their information stamped on them to be used. The unfortunate part is when it's only initials and no business name or town, they are known as "mavericks" meaning they can no longer be identified with any sort of historical accuracy.
I wish I could help more, but you can expect many items you dig up to be anonymous like this.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).