Coin and Paper Money Collecting/VOC 1754 Coin

Question
Hi there,

I have a VOC 1754 coin. On the back is a lion with three wavy lines across the bottom half of the lion, and it is all set inside a shield shape. Above the shield is a crown.  Above the VOC are three little symbols, which look like two different types of star and a castle.

Would you have any idea of what this is, and how much it may be worth? It is in good condition.

Many thanks.

Cazzie

Answer
Hi Carole,
This is a Dutch colonial "duit". These were made with large numbers with several different designs depending where they were made. The one with the design you describe is from the Zeeland mint. Such coins were used everywhere from the South-East Asian colonies all the way to NY where the dutch had also settled.
Despite their age, they are quite common coins when they are circulated. One in average condition typically sells for $5 to $10 on ebay.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits