Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1867 Hong Kong Tael with rays

Side 1
Side 1  

Side 2
Side 2  
How can I find out if my 1867 Hong Kong Tael with rays coin is real and if so, what it's worth?
It is magnetic.

Hi Becky,
Being magnetic tells you right away that the coin is a copy. "Tael" coins were made of silver, which is not magnetic. Another useful tip is to find one with the same design that is a known genuine example. many of these are fantasy designs of modern make, such as the one you have pictured here. The dragon is stylized much too crudely compared to genuine taels.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).