Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1889 Canadian Quarter

Front of coin
Front of coin  

Reverse of Coin
Reverse of Coin  
I bought this coin from a friend and would like to know what you would value it at. I would also like to know if you think it would be worth getting graded? From the little research I have seen the price jumps quite a bit due to the grading. Just wondering if you think this coin would be worth the trouble.

Thank you for your time

Hi Nick,
I would grade this coin as VF-30. As it is, I would expect it to bring $400 to $500 at auction, and $600+ in a retail situation such as a high end coin shop. A graded VF-30 would definitely be worth more in a retail setting. Considering the edge dings and what looks like hairlines from rubbing on the face and fields of that side, it may well be graded as VF details. In this case it would only be a waste of money to have graded.
It is a nice example otherwise and a scarce date.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).