Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1977 dime


I have a 1977d Dime that clearly has the D mint mark above 1977 is filled in, it looks to of happened during minting is this at all possible?

Hello Roberta,

Thanks for your question.

You are correct, this did happen during the minting process. This type of error is called a "filled die".

Essentially what happened was some foreign material, (metal flakes) got into the die. When the die came down on the coin those pieces of metal blocked the D part of the image and filled it.

This is a pretty common error, it does increase the value but selling just one of them is a bit difficult as many buyers like to buy these in quantity.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David McConaghy


I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.


30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.