Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1977 dime

Question
I have a 1977d Dime that clearly has the D mint mark above 1977 is filled in, it looks to of happened during minting is this at all possible?

Answer
Hello Roberta,

Thanks for your question.

You are correct, this did happen during the minting process. This type of error is called a "filled die".

Essentially what happened was some foreign material, (metal flakes) got into the die. When the die came down on the coin those pieces of metal blocked the D part of the image and filled it.

This is a pretty common error, it does increase the value but selling just one of them is a bit difficult as many buyers like to buy these in quantity.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy