Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1983 copper nickel

Question
I have a 1983 jefferson nickel which appears to be made out of solid copper. It has the color similar to that of a penny.
It mjeasures several thousands smaller in diameter and several thousands thinner than a regular nickel. I cannot recognise a mint mark on it.
What do I have?
Thank you

Answer
There are a couple of possibilities.

#1 is that the coin was struck on the wrong planchet (coin blank)

#2 is that today's nickels are mostly copper (75%) with 25% nickel, maybe the alloy was incorrect.

#3  maybe the coin was copper plated

The coin needs to be inspected which is something I can not do via internet.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

regards

Joe Hylas
www.AllCoins.US

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas