Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1983 copper nickel

I have a 1983 jefferson nickel which appears to be made out of solid copper. It has the color similar to that of a penny.
It mjeasures several thousands smaller in diameter and several thousands thinner than a regular nickel. I cannot recognise a mint mark on it.
What do I have?
Thank you

There are a couple of possibilities.

#1 is that the coin was struck on the wrong planchet (coin blank)

#2 is that today's nickels are mostly copper (75%) with 25% nickel, maybe the alloy was incorrect.

#3  maybe the coin was copper plated

The coin needs to be inspected which is something I can not do via internet.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow