Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1990 proof penny

Question
1990 penny
1990 penny  

1990 penny
1990 penny  
I found a 1990 penny with no s or d on it. I had the obvious question is it a proof penny. I attached pic to this posting if you could give me your opinion. Thanks

Answer
Hi Jackie,

Thank you for the pictures.

Sorry but yours is just a regular 1990 business strike penny, made at the Philadelphia mint.  It is normal for there to be no mintmark on all pennies made at the Philadelphia Mint -- it's considered the main mint, and traditionally only the branch mints (like Denver and San Francisco) had mintmarks added to their coins.

If it were a proof, it would have a mirror finish to the flat fields -- it doesn't look like yours does.

If you have a local coin shop, ask them to show you a 1990 proof set (or any other from the 1990's), and compare your coin to the one in the proof set -- you will see a huge difference.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore