Coin and Paper Money Collecting/$20 Liberia coin

Hello, This is a $20 coin from 2000, Republic of Liberia. no where on coin that I have found does it say .999 or sterling or .925 etc... yet the folded certificate staes it is .999 silver & 20 grams 40mm in Di.,Proof coin. Limited to  20,000. Is it silver or a joke? Thank  You. Butch

Hi Butch,
These coins were not typically stamped with a silver purity since they were made for collecting purposes rather than silver bullion investment. The 20 gram pieces for the year 2000 included the US Presidents and historic events series, all of which are indeed .999 fine silver.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).