Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2002 unplated penny

my son found a 2002 penny and it is silver coloring could it be valuable

Hi Christina,

The Mint buys its penny blanks from an outside supplier.  Occasionally the end of the strip that the blanks get cut from, do not get their copper coating on one side or both.  So any blanks cut from that end of the strip will have their zinc core exposed, giving it that silvery color.

These missing clad layer pennies are actually a relatively common mint error. They generally sell for about a dollar or two.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College