Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Bicentennial silver coins

QUESTION: Is it possible to purchase the following 1776-1976 Bicentennial coins: quarter, half-dollar, and dollar struck in 40% silver from the Philidelphia mint (no mint mark on the coins)? Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Those sets are no longer available from the mint.

You will have to locate them on the secondary market.  Proof sets and mint sets are only sold by the mint during the current year of issue.

Joe Hylas

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Hylas,

Thanks for your response, but I think I need to clarify my question. I don't mean to buy anything literally from the Philadelphia Mint, but are the Philadelphia-minted 40% silver coins available (no mint marks on them) in the secondary market? I can easily locate the silver bicentennial coins with "S" mint marks but I cannot find these coins without mint marks. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

ANSWER: Hi Ward,

Sorry about the confusion.

All of the 1976 40% silver coins, whether mint state or proof, carried the "S" mintmark.

I know of no instances of those coins being struck WITHOUT an "S" mintmark.

How's that? Better?

I check my library just to be sure.  :)

QUESTION: Hello again Mr. Hylas, color me "confused"! Tonight I looked in the 2012 "Redbook" (Yeoman) and on page 228, in the list of Eisenhower dollars, there's a line: "1776-1976, Silver Clad, Variety 2.....$20 (PF-65)". Could this mean that 40% silver coins had indeed been minted in Philadelphia, thus no mint mark? But only in proof? I do not see a similar entry for the quarter or half. Baffling! Thanks for your help and patience.

The no "S" issue was an error.  The coins were struck in San Francisco, however the mintmark was accidentally omitted.  That is a $100,000 coin.

So technically, there were none minted in Philadelphia.

There are 2 entries in the Redbook.  The value of $20 would be for the S Mint Proof, whereas the mint state (S Mint) coin is listed for $16.

Above that is the 1776-1976, silver clad, variety 2 with no value assigned. NO MINT MARK

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow