Coin and Paper Money Collecting/coin 1853 dollar cailf gold

I am trying to find the value of a coin dated 1853 cailf gold. I have looked a picture's of other coins, but my coin have a picture if a Indian head on front, on the back a gold leaf and state 1/4 cailf gold.

What you most likely have is a token rather than a coin. The actual coins are quite scarce and were first struck in the early 1850's. There are hundreds of varieties and it is a very specialized field. They were heavily counterfeited. This question has been asked before. Here's one of the answers for your review:

I've also provided a link on Calif. gold tokens for your review. There is a lot of good information and illustrations. The link:

These show up on eBay from time to time in the exonumia category. These replica tokens usually sell in the $5 to $10 range. Real tokens, made of 10Kt. to 14Kt. gold, can be worth hundreds of dollars.

Your piece should be looked at by an expert. Here is a link of a company selling better CA gold tokens:

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.