Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Do I have an error coin? Need your help!

Question
Dime
Dime  
I found this 1977 D dime that seems to be blank on the back side-it is completely smooth but if you look closely you can see a faint outline of sorts-of the image that is suppose to be there..other than that, this coin is in great shape. Is this an error or did someone intentionally do this? Also on the front of the coin the W in-In God We Trust is cut off at the edge of the coin. If it is an error coin do they have any value? Any help & info I can get would be so greatly appreciated!! I am new to coin collecting and know nothing about error coins. Thanks so much!!

Answer
Lisa:

I'm 99.9% sure you have an altered coin. I know of no minting process that could cause an "error" like this. Altered coins have no added numismatic value.

Sometimes you can think you have a real error coin. Here are examples of coins either being altered or damaged.
See link: http://coinauctionshelp.com/page15.html
See link: http://conecaonline.org/content/OhNo.htm

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. And check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern