Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Mint Bag of 1968-S Pennies

Question
QUESTION: Hi Joe, I recently purchased an original uncirulated, mint bag ($50) of 1968-S Lincoln cents.  I am wondering if I paid too much ($700) and I wanted to know if they would be of more value if they remain in the bag or if I take them out of the bag to check for rarities.  Thanks Joe,  - Doug

ANSWER: Hi Doug,

It sounds to me like $700 is a lot of $$.

The Gray sheet lists these for about $1 per roll.  Granted, it is a sealed bag but I really don't think they are worth that price unless you find some good errors.  However, opening the bag means no once else will find them and then you have 100 rolls of 1968-S cents, not a bag.

It's a tough call that I am glad I don't have to make.

The big thing with bags is keeping it airtight.  If you keep it intact, seal it up in plastic somehow so you minimize oxidation and carbon spots.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards
Joe

QUESTION: Excellent!  Thanks for the info, Joe.  Since you mentioned oxidation, I have a followup regarding that very item.  I have an 1880 Morgan Silver Dollar in UNC or AUNC condition which I have had for about 30 years.  Unfortunately, I had it in a plastic/cardboard holder which had a small tear on the obverse. I noted that a large black spot has formed on the eagle's chest and seems to form a small pit that is getting bigger. I know cleaning it is not a good idea, but I don't want my cartwheel eatten away.  Any advice?

Answer
Hi Doug.
Unfortunately once the pitting starts it can't be corrected.  Howeaver you can try a solution of water and baking soda.  Make a strong solution and soak the coin.  It won't take the spot away but should stop the damage from continuing.  Don't rub the coin. Just soak in overnight and rinse.  Pat dry.

Joe

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas