Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Replica Fugio Coin

Fugio Front
Fugio Front  

Fugio Back
Fugio Back  
I found this coin around 15 years ago. It is clearly marked "copy" on both sides so I know it is a replica, but what I was wondering is how old it could be and is it worth anything since it is a copy?

First, 1776 was never used on the "original" Fugio cents. Your piece is likely worth about $10 to an interested collector. They were the first officially sanctioned U.S. federal coinage in 1787.  On one side a dial with the hours expressed on the face of it & a meridian sun above it with the word Fugio, which is Latin for "Time Flies" and "Mind Your Business", which was often attributed to Benjamin Franklin saying for the British to stay away. On the reverse there are 13 circles linked together representing the 13 states with a ring with the words "We Are One". In 1858, restrikes were made in various metals, copper, silver, brass, & gold (which was extremely rare).

For more information, see: See: and

The Rules and Regulations under the Hobby Protection Act (1970's) require that all imitation numismatic and imitation political items sold in, or imported into, the United States be marked with the word "copy" the year of manufacture. An amendment to the Rule in 1988 permits manufacturers of miniature numismatic items to mark the word "copy" smaller dimensions than those required under the previous Rule.

You may want to check US coins and currency listings under colonial issues on eBay from time to time to see if your coin is listed what this type of item may bring. Copies are often offered for sale.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.