Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Wrong reverse???

QUESTION: Hello, I have a 1906 French Indo-Chine 20 Cent. coin. The only thing that concerns me is the reverse states the coin is 0.680 pure instead of the 0.835 common to the years prior to 1921. Any idea what's going on with this coin? Thanks for any help.

ANSWER: Hi Adam,

Can you tell me if your coins looks like the one that I have here? From your description it sounds similar but I need you to tell me if it looks the same as this one.

1906 French Indo-Chine 20 Cent.
1906 French Indo-Chine  
QUESTION: I'm not sure which coin you are referring to. I will attach a picture of it.

Thanks for sending the pictures, as you can see it was tough to see my coin too without a picture.

The French did not make a 20 Centime coin in 1906 according to several sources including the Krause World Coin book. These coins were and still are heavily counterfeited and I am afraid that what you have is a counterfeit too. The correct weight for a 1908 or 1903 is 5.4 grams, with the hole you should be at 5.3g.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics