Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1955 double die penny

1955 quadruple+ struck
1955 quadruple+ struck  
Hi!  First off I'd like to thank you for the work you do!  I really appreciate being able to ask a coin related question so easily!  Thank you very much!

I have a 1955 wheat penny that is gaining some attention.  I had it looked at by a gentleman, very briefly as there was a couple others waiting in line, from ANACS at the Norwich coin show in CT this past weekend, 5/5/2013.  His name is Paul.  After taking a close look with the glass he confirmed that I have at least a quadruple struck 1955 wheat penny.  He has never seen one like it and I believe it to be one of a kind.  It seems that this planchet got stuck in the tube and was struck repeatedly.  It flipped over in the tube and was hit by what must have been another penny as it has some mirrored impressions.  It also has an off centered 'st' underneath the 'st' in trust.  After doing some research I'm wondering if this coin was part of the calibration process after the famous '55 dble die was discovered?  I have a lot of questions about this penny and would like to talk to someone about it.  Can you get me in contact with a local professional in my area?   Thank you again!

HI Evan,
Actually, the best thing you can do is have the coin certified by PCGS or NGC.

This technically is not a double die, it is a quadruple strike.

Get the coin certified then have one of the large auction houses take a peek.  It's just easier that way once it is certified; there will be no guessing as to what everyone is looking at.

Joe Hylas
Omega Precious Metals

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow