Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1963 $2 bill with July 4, 1976 post mark

Question
I have a circulated red ink 1963 $2 bill that has a 13 cent postage stamp attached to the right of the bill's red seal. The cancelled stamp is dated July 4, 1976 from a local post office. Does this cancelled stamp add any value, or is it a novelty item? Thanks!

Answer
The United States $2 bill was redesigned in 1976.  There was a lot of press for the new design and release.  The date of release was April 13th 1976.  April 13th was the day Jefferson was born.  Anyway, for some reason, thousands of people took their new two dollar bills to the post office to get stamp canceled to show that they were from the first day of issue.  People sometimes had them canceled again on July 4th which was the day Jefferson died.  So long story short, it probably adds an extra $5 as a curiosity item, but is certainly isn't rare.  You can always seek the counsel of a rare paper money dealer who can give you an exact value based on serial number and condition.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Manning Garrett