Coin and Paper Money Collecting/currency error

Question
I have a 1977 $5.00 bill with a printing error. The green seal and serial number are partially missing from the front and the remainder is imprinted vertically on the back of the bill.

Answer
Lori:

Your bill appears to fit the general rule for a collectible error. Without a photo, or knowing the  condition or your error, an exact value is hard to establish, but it could be likely worth $300 to $500 to an interested collector.

Bills are printed in sheets of 32 notes and in three phases. Reverse print, obverse print, and serial numbers with seal print. At least one sheet likely had the corner folded before the third printing was applied.  The sheets, with the error(s), likely went unnoticed during the cutting and final inspection phase. There may have been several others with a similar error like yours to "escape" into circulation.

Here's the link for you to view different types of error currency and their values.

Link: http://www.coinsite.com/html/uscurrencyerrors.asp

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern