Coin and Paper Money Collecting/New Hampshire mis-strike

Question
I came across a New Hampshire quarter that is struck off center. The "U" in United States is almost touching the left edge of the obverse and there is a blank area approximately 1/8" wide on the right side. The same abnormality appears on the reverse as well. It looks like the blank slid over as it was being struck. Does a coin like this have any extra value to collectors?

Answer
Hi Richard,

You have what's known as an off-center strike error.

What actually happened to your coin is that it never got fully inserted into the press before it got stamped.

Optimally, 50% is the most valuable and sought after amount of being off-center.  Yours sounds more like about 10-20% off-center.  As such it's worth a couple dollars.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore