Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Pennies

I recently became interested in collecting older pennies, more specifically pre-1964.  First of all, I wanted to know the best way to clean the pennies. Also, I wanted to know the values of the year and quality of the pennies and how/where to sell them. One othe reason why I have become interested in this is because I am in desperate need of the money.

Hi Matt,

Cleaning coins is bad.  If you try to get the mint red color back on a circulated (worn) coin, you've just ruined it.  No collector will want to pay top money for cleaned coins.  If you do anything more than warm soapy water, you ruin its value.

You can find an online retail price guide here :

Here's a website to help you determine the grade of your coins :

Keep in mind that there are very few dates newer than 1933 that are going to be worth anything more than a couple cents in circulated condition -- and cleaning them won't help.

Probably the best place for you to sell what you find would either be on or at a local coin show -- see

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College