Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Possible New Variety of Canadian 50 Cents piece

Question
I recently purchased a Canadian 1872 H Fifty Cents coin.  When I checked the Charlton Catalogue, it listed four specific varieties of the 1872 H Fifty Cents coin.

On the Reverse of the coin I have, the "S" in Cents has clearly been Repunched.  This is not listed as a specific variety in the catalogue.

My question is, do I have a unique coin or possibly a new variety that was previously undiscovered?  In the unlikely event that this is a new variety of this coin, what should I do (who should I notify)?

Thank you very much for you time.

Answer

Hi Jeff,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
This is really a bit of a gray area in numismatics on what constitutes a "variety". Generally speaking, if this is confined to one of the dies used to make the coin and appears on coins struck with that one die, it would be a variety. If it's a "freak" example due to mechanical processes rather than a unique die, it would be considered an error instead of a variety. Of course opinions will differ based on who you talk to.
If you found other examples with the same re-punch, other die markers would have to be compared on the coin to be recognized as a unique variety.

In this case what you have is a known variety, I have seen a couple other examples with the same thing. I have attached a picture of one. Generally this one is listed under lesser varieties and errors rather than main known varieties, though I am not aware of any major publications that list it. Depending on which Charlton edition you have, the back of the book will have attribution for lesser varieties of various denominations. For example, mine has Victoria 25 cent varieties. This is where this coin would be described if it were in Charlton.

Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits