Coin and Paper Money Collecting/rare coin

Question
Hello Mr.Fern, My inquiry is about a rare 1804 Liberty dollar, United States coin. What can you tell me about its value? And how about an 1878 Trade dollar? Thank you, sir.

Answer
Evan:

1804 $1 is quite rare. If you have one, it is likely a replica. It is well known as being counterfeited in the numismatic community. There are a lot of famous silver coins in the world. One of the most world famous and expensive silver coins is the 1804 U.S. Silver Dollar. It was actually first struck in 1834, not 1804 as the date suggests. A recent sale was for over $4 million.

How to tell if it is real: A legitimate 1804 Silver Dollar is 39 mm to 40 mm in Diameter. The composition is .8924 Silver and .1076 Copper. The Weight: 26.96 grams. The edge will be lettered and say: "HUNDRED CENTS ONE DOLLAR OR UNIT". A total of 15 specimens are known to exist.  It would be a good guess that over the years many more have been "created" via the inescapable, unscrupulous con artists seeking prey.

For history and added information, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_silver_dollar
http://www.coinlink.com/News/featured/classic-rarities-adams-carter-1804-class-i.

The 1878 Trade Dollar was only issued in Poof, ($20,000) and is quite scarce as well. Check the reverse. If here is an "S" under the eagle's tail, it is common, and worth about $90 in circulated condition. See:  http://sammler.com/coins/trade-dollar.htm

These "copies" show up on eBay from time to time. You may want to check out the US coins and currency category under Replicas to see if your piece is listed and what it is going for.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern