Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Sovereign George V coin

I'm the owner of a gold sovereign George V coin that weighs 7.9 grams. On the other side you'll see George fighting te dragon and the year 1915 b.p. It doesn't have a mintmark above the year. I can't identify the mark beneath the chin, there's no listing of it. Could this be a copy/ replica?

Hi Ashwin,
Have you had the coin tested for gold content by any chance?
It looks to me like a jeweler's copy. And also looks like there are signs around the rim that it was removed from a mount. The good news is that jeweler's copies are made of solid gold, usually the same 22 karat purity as the real coin. It would be worth the same as a genuine coin that had damage from mounting in jewelry.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).