Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1799 dollar coin

1799 Coin
1799 Coin  

1799 Coin II
1799 Coin II  
Mr. Fern, I found this coin in my grandmother's jewelery box.  She obviously had it mounted and wore it as a pendant so I'm sorry the coin can't be completely seen.  I was wondering if you could tell me if this looks like a counterfeit (from what you can see) and if not what it could be worth.  I appreciate your time and expertise!

Weight, diameter, edge design (lettered), all help to establish if your coin is authentic or a replica. I simply cannot give an accurate opinion on just photos, but the coin appears like it might be real. The 1798 to 1804 dollars measured 26.96 grams 39 to 40 MM diameter and lettered edge. Later dollars after 1840 were 26.73 grams and a 38.1 mm diameter.

The 1799 Silver Dollar has the highest mintage of any struck before 1860, so the public then (and collectors today) were more likely to see a 1799 dollar coin.

There were slightly different versions of these coins. The dies were made by hand each one is different. They start at a value of about $400 to well over $1200 each in circulated grades.

The coin, if real, is valuable. Many replicas are reported especially from China and the Middle East. These coins have known counterfeit copies being traded as "real", so yours is best looked at by a professional dealer. Try to find a coin show, as there are authenticators willing to give their opinion at the show tables for free. If you can find a coin show near you try to find an Early American coin dealer.

For more data, see: and

You may want to check US coin listings on eBay from time to time to see if your dollar is listed what this type of item may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your item to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.