Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1854 Penny

I hate to ask this question but this 1854 penny I'm looking at actually has One Cunt printed on it.  I've looked at this coin over and over to see if it was altered, but there is no way that the E could have been altered into a U.  I believe it was really printed like that.  Is that possible?????

1847 Large Cent Alteration
1847 Large Cent Altera  

This is an altered coin, and it has no added numismatic value. The "E" was reworked into a "U" (outside the mint) after he coin was struck. The large cent was apparently the preferred coin of choice for this "crude" modification. They are sometimes offered as novelty pieces from time to time on eBay for around $20 to $25. They are usually well circulated examples.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.