Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1981 penny

Question
Hello, I have a 1981 penny.  Lincoln and everything on the front appears to be there but the back is blank.  Is this worth anything?

Answer
Hi Cari,

Most likely, it isn't worth anything.  I say this because when a coin is struck the front and back are struck by the dies simultaneously.  Chances are that the back either wore off, or was polished off.

The coin would have to be inspected to determine otherwise.  However, there is something you can do.  Weigh the coin on an accurate gram scale.  It should weigh 3.11 grams, or there about.  If it is substantially less, the back was polished off, thereby reducing the weight.

If the weight is correct, it is possible that you have a die trial piece, but that's a long shot.

Regards
Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas