Coin and Paper Money Collecting/China coins

I have a Li Yuan-Hung 1912  china republic dollar with cap on

Hello Becky,

The vast majority of these coins are counterfeit. How you ended up with this coin will probably determine more about its authenticity than anything I could ever tell you. A coin like this would have been in the possession of a pretty serious coin collector or someone who traveled to China well before WWII. If it was brought back in the last 50 years there is a good chance that it is not real.

The correct weight for this coin is 26.5 grams and it is 39mm in diameter. The fake ones will often stick to a magnet.

If you can send a photos and verify the size and weight I might be able to tell you more. If it is real the value is from $500 to $1500 depending on the condition.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics