Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Error on one dollar bill?

Mr. Fern,

My wife and I have a fairly extensive coin and currency collection that came to us from my wife's mother several years ago. She was a very interesting lady and would not keep a bank note that she had not decided was a piece worth keeping. We are just now to a point in our lives that we have time to spend with the collection. I have two questions that I hope you can answer for us.

I. We have numerous bills ranging from one dollar to one hundred dollars.I have been studying them individually for some time looking for the reason a particular bill was retained and I may have stumbled upon the answer. An example is a one dollar bill that looks perfectly normal. The serial number is C 95878370 A and has a black Philadelphia bank seal with a C in the center on the left side of the bill and a small green Department of the Treasury seal on the right side. The serial numbers are the same color as the Treasury seal. It has Series 1969 "D" just to the left of the signature of the Treasury Secretary. Is the "D" an error? Should the "D" actually be a "C"?

2. We have 23 series 1976 two dollar bills. Eight of them are uncirculated and sequentially numbered. I am sure they have a value greater than their face value and your best estimate of that value would be greatly appreciated. I am still trying to figure out why she retained the others. I know they would not be in the collection if they did not have value beyond face value. One is even torn and has been taped but most are in very good or better condition. Are there any things that I haven't mentioned that I should look for?

Your response and advice will be most appreciated.

Thank You

Ken Carpenter

Many people keep (hoard) coins and currency that seemingly have little to no collector value. I do not believe your dollar bill is an error. For description of your currency, see: and and

1976 two dollar bills were printed (and saved by collectors) in the hundreds of millions. Most are worth only face value. Bills that are replacements (star notes) could be worth more. See: and

You may want to check US currency listings on eBay from time to time to see if your notes are listed what these types of items may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your item to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.