Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Mis-printed Dollar Coin

Hi there! I used to work in the banking industry and when the new George Washington (gold) dollar coins began to circulate, we recieved a few mis-printed coins at the bank now & then.  We (tellers) exchanged the coins out and took the mis-printed ones home with us.  The coins have no writing/engraving what so ever on the sides where I believe it was supposed to have the "In God We Trust" engraved on the sides of the coin.  Each coin had smooth surfaces around the edges.  Are these still worth anything special or just the goold 'ol dollar?  I'd greatly appreciate any help with this.  I have 3/4 coins at home hiding in a safe spot...  :)

Hi Christine,

At one time they were worth about $100 each, before collectors knew how many existed.  Now they are not so rare.  The last ones I bought, I paid about $20 each for them.

Check on ebay for currents prices.  Search for "Godless Dollar" "Plain edge dollar", etc.  I bet you will find some on eBay.

Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow