Coin and Paper Money Collecting/wierd figure

side a
side a  

side b
side b  
I'm following up all suggestions as to how to find out anything regarding this recent metal detecting find.

Someone suggested it looks similar to a Sri Lankan Massa coin, hence my enquiry to you.

the picture gives more detail than I could try to explain, other than the material the disk is made of appears to be either bronze/copper...It is definitely not iron, and appears too hard to be either silver or lead

any thoughts would be much seems no-one can shed any light on it

It is not a Lankan coin, although I agree side B has a standing man bit like that found on Massa coins.
The other side of Massa coins always has a seated man with DevaNagari text.
I suspect it is Indian since there are many coins of this style with standing man on both sides.
I suggest that you ask on the southasia-coins yahoo group at
Was it found in Australia ?

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dr Kavan Ratnatunga

I can only answer any question regarding Paper Money, coins and Tokens that circulated in Ceylon/Sri Lanka of any era which extends back to 300 BCE. I maintain website which may help you identify your coin. If Country is any other or unknown, coin should have been found in Sri Lanka. Please Do not ask questions about any coins or currency of other countries including USA. Thank You.

I maintain since 1998 the largest website on Ceylon/Sri Lankan coins and Tokens with over 600 pages.

President Sri Lanka Numismatic Society founded in 1976

Sunday Times NewsPaper of Sri Lanka. See

BSc MS PhD in Physics/Astronomy Diploma in Museology

Contributor on Ceylon/Sri Lanka for Krause Standard Catalogs of World Coins and Paper Money.