Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1886 silver dollar

I have an 1886 Liberty head silver dollar. It does not have a mint letter. It looks to me to be in very good condition. How can I determine if it is a Morgan?

Hi Richard,

Morgan Dollars are called that because they were designed by George T. Morgan.

Yours is a Morgan Dollar if it looks like the one here :

This picture shows an "O" mintmark on the reverse below the eagle.

Being considered a common date, in lightly circulated condition, your 1886 dollar is currently worth about $22

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College