Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1913 Liberty Head Nickel

I have a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel that does not have the word "copy" stamped on the back of it.  Do all replicas need to have this stamp?  I know this is a rare coin.  Is there anyway to find out if it's a replica before taking it into a coin dealer?

There was no regular issue of 1913 Liberty Head nickel.  There were only 5 made at the mint by an employee.  They are all accounted for.  Thus, it is extremely unlikely that your nickel was made at the mint as a 1913.  Look at the date very carefully.  The most likely explanation is that a different date was altered to a 1913, perhaps with the final 2 being retooled to be a "3."  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Jim Lawniczak

I will answer your questions about encased coins (lucky pennies), which are advertising and event tokens with coins, unually cents, struck with the token.

Long time collector of encased coins and author of several articles on encased coins.

TAMS, ECI (Encased Collectors International)

TAMS -- several articles on encased coins, in particular the encased coins of the 1901 Buffalo Pan American Exposition
Casement -- many articles on encased coins