Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1913 Liberty Head Nickel

Question
I have a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel that does not have the word "copy" stamped on the back of it.  Do all replicas need to have this stamp?  I know this is a rare coin.  Is there anyway to find out if it's a replica before taking it into a coin dealer?

Answer
There was no regular issue of 1913 Liberty Head nickel.  There were only 5 made at the mint by an employee.  They are all accounted for.  Thus, it is extremely unlikely that your nickel was made at the mint as a 1913.  Look at the date very carefully.  The most likely explanation is that a different date was altered to a 1913, perhaps with the final 2 being retooled to be a "3."  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Jim Lawniczak