Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2006-P Nevada MS Specimen

Hi, I have a 2006-P Nevada State Quarter Mint State Specimen Strike Coin. I can't find anything about this coin. This coin is in near perfect condition (at least SP69 or 70). I was wondering what it's value. Is it worth keeping? Thanks!

Hi James,  Basically, SP is a fancy way of describing a satin strike coin which was available in the 2006 U.S. Mint set.  In fact, all the coins found in the 2006 U.S. Mint set are satin.  Typically, the coins found in these sets are much nicer than their business strike counterparts. You can find pricing for SP coins on the PCGS website - just know that this retail guide is for PCGS graded coins and the prices are a guide and not an offer to buy.  You'd have to factor in the cost of grading along with the probabilities of receiving a high grade before sending any coin for grading through a dealer or collector club.  Note:  In our shop we sell 2006 Mint Sets which contain all the satin coins for the year: Cost $11 for the set in its original U.S. Mint box.   Hope this helps, Troy Thoreson, Thoreson Numismatics  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Troy Thoreson

Please, no error coin questions unless your coin is dated 1955 or before. I can answer questions regarding all U.S. Coins, Gold & Silver bullion, including regular mint and proof issue coins and currency. Since 2009, I have been contributing to the Red Book, "A Guide Book of United States Coins", by R.S. Yeoman along with two other publications. I currently run two coin shops in California.

I have over 30 years experience in Numismatics. I own two coin shops and have examined thousands of coins over the years. Please allow up to 2 business days for an answer. This is a free service and I am happy to answer questions - but please be patient and understanding of my time.

My company is an authorized P.C.G.S. and N.G.C. dealer. I am a Life Member of the American Numismatic Association and California State Numismatic Association. We are also an authorized Whites Metal Detector dealership.

I have written articles for Coin World and the Rare Coin Market Report.

I have a certificate of completion from the American Numismatic Association on how to detect counterfeit U.S. Gold Coins and how to Grade U.S. Coins along with other certifications. I have a Bachelor of Science in Business with a concentration in Accounting and a minor in Computer Information Systems.

I am listed as a contributor to the Red Book, "A Guide Book of United States Coins", the Red Book, by R.S. Yeoman. I have been contributing to the Red Book since 2009. I also contribute to the Blue Book and the new Professional edition Red Book. I have many other awards and honors.

My past consulting clients included eBay, Inc., Yahoo! Auctions, and the United States Postal Service. I have many other great customers and help all no matter their level of collecting.